Expressindia> Sports
Group Websites
Expressindia
Indian Express
Financial Express
Screen
Loksatta
Exims
Channels
Blogs
Astrology
Shopping
Hotels
Tenders
Classifieds


MOST READ


Font Size - -A+A

Shah Rukh Khan banned from Wankhede stadium for 5 years

Express news service

Posted: May 23, 2012 at 1303 hrs IST
      

Mumbai: Kolkata Knight Riders co-owner and Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan was today banned by the Mumbai Cricket Association for five years from entering the Wankhede Stadium for misbehaving with its officials in an IPL match here.

Khan, who was alleged by the MCA to have manhandled a security guard of the association besides hurling choice abuses at its officials after the IPL game on May 16 between KKR and Mumbai Indians, was threatened with a life ban by some officials before the managing committee toned it down to a five-year period.

Watch video

The decision to debar Khan was taken by the MCA's managing committee at its emergency sitting chaired by its President Vilasrao Deshmukh.

"The Managing Committee of the MCA at its meeting today has condemned the behaviour of Shah Rukh Khan, who without any provocation hurled abuses at MCA officials and manhandled the security guard in the presence of BCCI-IPL officials," Deshmukh said.

"Shah Rukh had no regrets for his action and misbehaviour. He in fact has justified his action of manhandling the security guard and abusing and threatening MCA officials. The Managing Committee is forced to ban Shah Rukh Khan from entering the Wankhede Stadium for a period of five years," Deshmukh said.

Asked whether there would be any change in MCA's stand if Khan apologises later, Deshmukh said the question did not arise.

"The ban is a message to every one that if anyone behaves like that, action will be taken," Deshmukh said, adding more than 50 per cent of members in the MCA managing committee were present when the unsavoury incident took place on Wednesday night.

The MCA president said the Cricket Board had been informed of the incident, a fact corroborated by BCCI's CAO Prof Ratnakar Shetty, who was present at the conference as one of the vice-presidents of the MCA.

Shetty said BCCI president N Srinivasan had received a complaint letter from the MCA about the incident and the Board would now put in place some measures to avoid a repeat of such incidents.

"The complaint from the MCA has been received by the BCCI president. It will also lead to putting in place some necessary measures in the IPL," Shetty said.

Deshmukh said MCA was an independent body and had full power to take a decision to impose a ban on an IPL team co-owner as it deemed fit and said it was a unanimous decision to debar Khan by its managing committee members.

"MCA is an independent body capable of taking the decision. The incident happened in front of BCCI and IPL officials and more than 50 per cent of our managing committee members were witness to it. A message has been sent. We have informed the BCCI too," said Deshmukh.

Asked if the BCCI can reverse the decision to ban Khan, Deshmukh said, "We have taken a decision to protect the dignity of our association. BCCI is our parent body and we have written to them informing what had happened. We have no control over BCCI's decision. We are also an independent body with the Wankhede being our property.

"If rules are violated, action will be taken. It does not depend who the individual is. It's a message to everyone whosoever he or she may be that stern action will be taken if there is any misbehaviour," he added.

IPL Chairman Rajiv Shukla, however, said that a final decision will be taken by the BCCI.

"State bodies can only recommend but a final decision has to be taken by the BCCI. When the matter comes to BCCI, the Board will decide (on the ban)," he told reporters in New Delhi.

Khan had, however, denied he had misbehaved and acted only after children, including his kids, were "manhandled" by the security staff.

"How can he go inside the ground without proper accreditation. Even I can't go inside the ground if not invited for presentation ceremony," Deshmukh said.

"We have handed a five-year ban on him and it was a unanimous decision. It applies to any match whether domestic or international at the Wankhede," he added.

Deshmukh said many MCA officials were present at the time of the fracas and they have expressed their strong views against Khan in the meeting.

"There were a lot of MCA officials present at the time of fracas. Nothing more was needed to prove that he (Khan) misbehaved."

Asked if there was still a chance of the ban being reconsidered, Deshmukh said, "There is no question of that. Khan did not make any representation to us, nor apologise. He could also have filed a police complaint but he did not do that.

"Whether BCCI, IPL or MCA, such kind of misbehaviour cannot be tolerated. We have also filed a police complaint and it's upto the police to act now," he added.

Shetty praised MCA officials for not reacting on the ground to the provocation from Khan.

"This is an unprecedented situation. We have never come across such incidents in the last five years at the Wankhede Stadium. It was an extreme restraint shown by the MCA officials in the face of abusive language being hurled on them. It could have led to an ugly incident. They should be appreciated," said Shetty.

On whether Khan was drunk when the incident took place as has been alleged by the MCA, its joint secretary Dalal said "Yes".

"The Assistant Commissioner of Police himself was present and he said Khan was drunk. There is no need for a civilian to say it," Shetty added.

Rate this article
 
Post Comment :
Name * Message *
Email ID *
Subject *
TERMS OF USE:
The views, opinions and comments posted are your, and are not endorsed by this website. You shall be solely responsible for the comment posted here. The website reserves the right to delete, reject, or otherwise remove any views, opinions and comments posted or part thereof. You shall ensure that the comment is not inflammatory, abusive, derogatory, defamatory &/or obscene, or contain pornographic matter and/or does not constitute hate mail, or violate privacy of any person (s) or breach confidentiality or otherwise is illegal, immoral or contrary to public policy. Nor should it contain anything infringing copyright &/or intellectual property rights of any person(s).
I agree to the terms of use.
© 2012 The Indian Express Limited. All rights reserved
The Indian Express Group | Advertise With Us | Privacy Policy | Feedback | Work With Us | Site Map